Galley kitchens include counters that run parrallel (and can include an island). They are popular in apartments because they work well in a small footprint. However, just because they are associated with apartments, doesn't mean they have to be low on style.
- No odd shaped and difficult to reach corner cabinets
- Can fit into a smaller footprint
- Efficient with a lot of counter space
- Makes planning the "work triangle" easy.
- Not as great with multiple cooks
- Doesn't convey an open floor plan