Laminate countertops have seen a resurgence in the last few years. As products are improved and budgets are tightened, homeowners are realizing laminate isn't just for rentals and the 50's.
As I dive deeper into material research, I realize more and more that there is no perfect material when it comes to sustainability and durability. Laminate is no exception. But it does have a lot of pros that makes it a great option.
Are laminate countertops green?
Are laminate countertops durable?
- Very budget friendly. $10-$30 per square foot installed.
- Lightweight and often made in the US, meaning it has a lower carbon footprint.
- Come in a lot of great design options. If it's stone you wanted, some patterns make it difficult to decipher whether it's stone or laminate.
- Non porous and bacteria resistant.
- Increasingly durable. High end laminate countertops come with a 10 year warranty.
- Often uses FSC wood fibers and paper in materials.
- Can be fabricated and installed with low VOC adhesives.
- Two great options are Green Guard Certified. (Wilsonart and Formica)
- Cutting boards and trivets are highly recommended.
- Will likely go to a landfill at the end of it's lifecycle.
- Can't be refinished if it becomes chipped or marred.